Timber : Burma Teak, Paduak, African Teak
Size : As per drawing shown. Custom sizes can be made against order.
Finish : Rough Sanded and uncoated
Order : Minimum order quantity - 1 nos per design
Specifications and Design subject to change without notice. Dimensions shown are in mm and are indicative
Unsealed Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps must not be subject to abnormal heat, dryness or humidity, or sudden atmospheric changes. Deliver to building site after plaster or cement is dry. If Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps are stored for more than one week, the entire product including all edges and cutouts for hardware must be sealed. Usually wood stains are applied before sealer coats to ensure proper penetration of stain. Most solvent-based stains have some sealing qualities; however, this type of stain should not be relied upon fact achieving adequate sealing.
Handle with clean gloves and do not drag across other surfaces.
Store flat on a level surface in a dry, well ventilated building. Cover to keep clean, but allow air circulation.
The structural integrity must not be impaired when fitting. There must be no alteration any where in the product. Care must be taken in the fixing of the hardware.
Before finishing, Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps must be clean. Remove handling marks, loose wood fibers, raised grain, etc. by sanding with fine sand paper.
Certain species of wood contain chemicals, which react unfavorably with certain finishes. Where possible, the surface should be tested for unfavorable reactions.
Finishing must proceed immediately after fitting, cutting for weather strip, threshold and hardware. Most stains are wiped after application. The length of time the stain is allowed to penetrate before wiping and the amount of rubbing with the wiping cloth will determine the depth of color. Most stains lighten in color before drying. Some will darken slightly upon application of clear sealer and varnish. Before fixing any Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps, the entire product including all edges and cutouts for hardware must be thoroughly sealed with two coats of good quality sealer. For all products, then apply at least two coats of high quality varnish and for exterior doors at least two coats of high quality exterior grade polyurethane or spar varnish. Sand lightly between coats and apply finish to all surfaces, edges, cutouts for hardware and the wood under and behind. If Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps have been sealed and finished prior to job site fitting, any newly cut edges must be sealed and refinished.
For painted Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps, sand with fine sand paper to remove any loose wood fibers, handling marks, raised grain, etc., then prime the entire door including all edges, cutouts for hardware and the wood under with a high quality oil base primer followed by at least two coats of a high quality exterior grade paint being sure to apply finish to all edges, cutouts for hardware and the wood under and behind wrought iron. For prehung doors, you must remove hinges so that primer and paint can be applied under hinges. If doors have been primed and painted prior to job site fitting, any newly cut edges must be primed and repainted.
Most finishes on exterior Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps deteriorate relatively quickly. Inspect the Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps periodically for finish deterioration. Maintenance is recommended annually.
VELMAN'S LIMITED WARRANTY
Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps manufactured by VELMAN are warranted for one year from date of shipment to be of good material and workmanship and at the time of shipment free of defects that would render them unfit for ordinary recommended purposes. Should a warranted door be found by VELMAN to be defective, VELMAN will at its option, either:
1. Repair the door without charge, or:
2. Provide a replacement part or parts for repair of the Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps without charge, or:
3. Provide a replacement Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps in the same stage of fitting and/or finishing it was originally supplied.
THE FOLLOWING WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL REPLACEMENT:
An invoice will be issued showing full value of replacement door.
A deposit equal to 25% of replacement door value must be received ten days prior to shipment of remake.
This deposit will be refunded and credit will be issued for the remaining balance of the replacement door invoice upon receipt of the defective door. Return of defective door must be made within 30 days upon receipt of replacement.
4. Refund the price received for the door after we receive defective door.
FINAL WARRANTY INSPECTION WILL BE MADE AT THE FACTORY UPON RECEIPT OFDEFECTIVE PRODUCT. IF THE CLAIM IS FOUND TO BE INVALID, NEITHER CREDIT NOR REFUND OF DEPOSIT WILL BE ISSUED FOR THE REPLACEMENT DOOR OR THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT.
We will not be held liable for any Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps repaired or replaced without our prior written consent.
You must inspect each Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps immediately upon receipt. If a defect is discovered, a written notice must be given within 30 days arid before the door is hung or altered in any manner.
We will not pay any cost to remove defective Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps or to install new Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps, nor are we responsible for any finishing costs or consequential damages. We will not be held liable for any Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps repaired or replaced without our prior written consent.
THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT TO BE CONSIDERED DEFECTS IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP AND ARE NOT COVERED BY THIS LIMITED WARRANTY:
1. Wood Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps are susceptible to expansion and contraction caused by temperature and humidity variations. Small surface checking or slight shrinking or cupping which may cause tiny cracks at the joints may occur under certain conditions, these deviations from perfection are not considered flaws. Most Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps are shipped unsealed and unfinished and the natural characteristics of wood movement cannot be warranted against. VELMAN's "Handling, Site Finishing and Installation Instructions" must be followed to minimize problems.
2. Warp or Bend shall not be considered a defect unless it exceeds 10mm. Balusters or Newels wider than 100mm or higher than 750mm are not warranted against crack, bow or twist. Warp is any distortion in the product itself and does not refer to the relationship of the product installed. The term warp shall include bow, cup and twist. In measuring the amount of warp present in a Balusters or Newels, the following method must be used. Bow, cup and twist are measured by placing a straightedge, taut wire or string on the suspected concave face of the product vertically. The measurement of bow, cup and twist is made at the point of maximum distance between the bottom of the straightedge, taut wire or string and the face of the product. Action on any claim for warp may be deferred at VELMANS option for a period not to exceed 12 months after installation to permit the Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps in question to acclimate to temperature and humidity conditions.
3. Crack or shrinkage.
4. Different woods have different characteristics like
Tight knots primarily in the panels
Large open and closed knots
Primarily clear with occasional knots
Small worm holes with stain radiating from them.
These cosmetic details unrelated to structural integrity are considered enhancements and not defects.
5. Some wooden Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps achieve a weathered appearance by sanding/wire brushing. Inherent to a weathered Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps , is an inconsistent face plane. This is not to be considered a defect.
6. Oil finishes are not warranted to eliminate mold color fading, wood checks or other natural occurring processes due to exposure to the environment.
7. The appearance of field finished Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps.
8. Natural variations in the colors of the wood or in the texture and grain of wood.
9. Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps which are improperly installed.
10. Exterior Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps not protected by substantial overhang and exposed to extreme weather conditions.
11. Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps that are not finished according to Velman's written "HANDLING, INSTALLATION AND FINISHING INSTRUCTIONS".
13. Any conditions arising from the neglect or failure to properly maintain the Balusters, Newels or Newel Caps.
14. Defects or damages arising in, or as a result of shipment by common carriers, private transportation and/or other means of transportation are not covered by warranty.
15. Any implied warranty shall be limited in duration to the period of this warranty. There are no warranties that extend beyond this warranty, and VELMAN sole responsibility under this warranty is as stated herein. VELMAN shall not be held liable for consequential, indirect or incidental damages, or for any amount in excess of VELMAN'S price for the item involved.